Thursday, August 20, 2015

The (Soviet) Roller Coaster From Hell

Every once in a while you come across a photo which so perfectly captured a moment that you feel compelled to show it to anyone with eyeballs.  A photo which can't just be pulled up on a friend's phone in passing; it has earned the right to have its backstory told and scene set. Luckily for you, I have one such photo. 

I nearly died in Mongolia.  (Truthfully, given the lack of basic safety procedures in the country I most likely nearly died regularly in Mongolia.)  On one of our final days in country we spent eight hours at their national amusement park, which only had about five working rides.  It was a bit much.  The first ride we jumped on was the sole roller coaster in the park.  

A few key points to understand:

- on this roller coaster, one must buckle themselves in (and then pray)
- the teenager running the roller coaster was taking naps in between rides
- this roller coaster was built by the Soviets in the 80's or 90's and had had no obvious updates since then
- I am terrified of roller coasters in my own country

The ride went about as well as I had anticipated: complete hell.  

Still hopeful, pre-ride
 

It's about to get real
Teenaged controller taking a nap (behind Rita)

(Luke, my student, blacked out during the ride because of some Soviet design flaws - it sped up when an American roller coaster would have slowed down).  

It was so traumatic for me that I cried.  Deep, crippling sobs...in front the students.  And this picture caught it all, including the entertained reactions of everyone else.  Luke laughed so hard at me, he cried too.  


This picture made the whole harrowing experience worth it.  


1 comment:

  1. Interesting pics.. How to write a critical essay like a pro is taught here, check it if you like.

    ReplyDelete